Presbyterian Mo-Ranch Assembly is the conference and retreat center of the four-state Presbyterian Synod of the Sun.
Mo-Ranch bears the name of Daniel J. Moran, who owned the 6,800-acre ranch
for 13 years prior to his death in 1948 and its purchase by Presbyterians in 1949 for $512,500. The State of Texas then bought 6,500 acres from Mo-Ranch to create the Kerr Wildlife Management Area.
Through later purchases of adjacent land, Mo-Ranch now encompasses approximately 500 acres.
Mo-Ranch's landmark structure is Manor House, built in 1929 by Houston oilman O.R. Seagraves. It still contains the distinctive Monterey furniture purchased by Seagraves and included in his sale of the property. Manor House and the adjacent Pilot House have recently been renovated, the 4-bay garage converted into a very nice meeting space, and a deck behind Manor House added in 2008 in memory of Mary Anne Moses, trustee.
After purchasing the ranch in 1936, Moran began constructing other impressive buildings primarily from Hill Country limestone and oilfield pipe that was easily accessible to him as the chairman of Conoco. Moran also had builders use distinctive tiles and wrought iron work in many of these structures.