Introduction to Bowen Family Systems Theory|
Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary
Three Credit Course
January 14-18, 2013
Instructor: David Lee Jones, Th.D.
Required pre-course readings:
• Roberta Gilbert, The Eight Concepts of Bowen Theory.
Falls Church, VA: Leading Systems Press, 2006.
• Jim Herrington, Robert Creech, and Trisha Taylor, The Leader's
Journey San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass, 2003.
• Edwin Friedman, Generation to Generation: in Church and
Synagogue. New York: Guilford Press, 1985.
(Chapters 1-2, and 7-10).
• Israel Galindo, A Family Genogram Workbook.
Kearney, NE: Morris Publishing, 2006.
• Ronald Richardson, Becoming a Healthier Pastor.
Minneapolis, MN: Fortress Press, 2005.
• Peter Steinke, Congregational Leadership in Anxious Times:
Staying Calm and Courageous No Matter What. Herndon,
VA: The Alban Institute, 2006.
• Roberta Gilbert, Extraordinary Relationships: A New Way of
Thinking Relationships. Falls Church, VA: Leading Systems
Arrive the first day of the course with an initial draft of one's genogram and time-line. The genogram and timeline should minimally cover at least three generations--more if possible. Students will add to both their genograms and timelines during their respective cohort groups.
return to front page